XC Runners Emerge from Regionals with Five State Qualifiers

Sophomore Isabella Frey is crowned regional champion

Catherine Vivongsy, Business Manager

The cross country teams competed at their regionals competition at South View High School Nov. 2, with several participants excelling further into states. While both teams placed in the top 10, neither teams advanced to the state meet.

The girls’ team placed 7th overall. Individually, sophomore Isabella Frey finished the race in 17:45.10 minutes. This result led to her win as the regional champion out of 130 girls.

Overall, Frey felt satisfied with her regionals results.

“I was feeling pretty good. There was one other girl with me, and we were both kind of pushing each other to do our best,” Frey said.

With her impeccable finish, Frey reflects on what her result means to her.

“It means a lot to me. I think of all the practice that has been put in to help get me to where I am now.”

Alongside Frey, sophomore Olivia Fischlein and senior Leah Given qualified for states. Fischlein finished 17th in 19:13.30 minutes, and Given finished 25th in 19:27.30 minutes.

Fischlein describes the layout of the course at South View.

“It felt very fast, and there weren’t many hills on it, so it was very good for all the runners’ times,” Fischlein said.

Given was content with her results, although, she wishes to improve minor mistakes when finishing the race.

“I definitely wished I improved at the end because it’s uphill to the finish.”

With the boys’ team, they were close to qualifying to states by one place, and they ended up placing 6th. Out of 137 individuals, junior Lucas Rorick and sophomore Nick Hottel qualified to states. Rorick finished in 16:21.80 minutes, while Hottel finished in 16:35.90 minutes.

At regionals, both Rorick and Hottel were pleased with their results. Rorick was even close to achieving a new record.

“If I had known my time, I would’ve gone faster because I was only eight seconds off the school record,” Rorick said.