New Beginnings for Freshmen

The new freshmen for the 2019-20 school year describe their high school experience

Julia Conn, Managing Editor

Almost every up and coming ninth grader has all kinds of preconceived notions about high school. There’s nerves, anticipation and excitement. It’s a whole different world apart from middle and elementary school, and some of our freshmen shared their feelings regarding their new start.

Depending on the individual, everyone’s first high school experiences will differ. For some, like Nicki Woloszyn, there are initial feelings of worry and fear.

“I thought I was going to get lost, and I wouldn’t be able to make my classes on time,” Wolosyzn said. She also thought that “school was going to be terrifying, and that the teachers weren’t going to teach well.”

There’s also a frequent concern about how classes in high school are formatted in comparison to middle school. Ian Do spoke about the hardest adjustment since the first day.

“Definitely getting around classes,” Do said. “The five minute transition time period between classes and the 90 minute classes.”

Despite the difficult change of pace, Do explained a positive observation he made, discounting the common notion about older students teasing freshmen.

“The upperclassmen really don’t mind you being here as a freshman as much as you would think,” he noted.

As the newcomers become more adjusted, much of their apprehension has gone away and is replaced with enthusiasm.

“There’s been a lot more freedom here than there was in middle school,” Cassandra O’Connell said. “And I’ve made more friends.”

With any major change in life comes adjustment and acclimation. Adjusting to high school can be a process for some, but it’s often said that these are some of the best years of our lives.

Woloszyn gives an encouraging piece of advice for his fellow freshmen: “Don’t worry as much; just enjoy high school!”