Forest Fire

• November 6Get excited! Our varsity homecoming game is this friday @ 7 p.m.

• October 29Check out our new picture galleries

Moore shines in first role

Mark Moore, who played Hawkeye Pierce (right) and Judah Naiman, who played Duke (left) in the production of M*A*S*H* converse in the swamp of the mobile army surgical hospital.

Julia Conn, Staff Reporter

If you had the chance to catch a show of the production of M*A*S*H, you saw Junior Mark Moore’s portrayal of military surgeon, Hawkeye Pierce. With witty jokes and sarcastic comments, Moore received numerous roars of laughter from the audience over the course of the three shows.

It may come as a surprise to some, but Moore had very little experience with acting and being in school produced plays. He had never acted until recently before auditions took place.

“I had done a monologue once for a speech class, and my dad was in love with M*A*S*H,” Moore said. “I ended up trying out, and I decided literally the day of last tryouts. I was walking out of the school, but I turned around and went back in.”

Moore said that he and his character Hawkeye shared some personality traits, such as goofiness. This made it less of a challenge to be convincing with his role.

Before accepting his part in the play, Moore was clueless as to who this Hawkeye Pierce guy was. His father was excited to hear that there was a chance for his son to play the lead character, but Moore didn’t know a thing about him.

“I was thinking he was some sort of sniper from the Avengers,” Moore said.

It surely wasn’t easy for him to play such a lively and predominant person in the play. Some obstacles came along with being the infamous Hawkeye Pierce.

“Differentiating between moods was definitely hard to overcome, playing different people in the same person,” Moore said.

Although the cast of the play shared some memorable times during rehearsals and show nights, they were collectively dejected when their world of M*A*S*H came to a close.

“I’m kind of bummed,” Moore said. “I don’t get to hang out with those people anymore.”

Along with most of the cast, Moore felt a certain ease accompanied with performing for the last time Oct. 28.

“It was more comfortable,” Moore said, describing the third performance. “It was way more comfortable.”

Since M*A*S*H, some changes in his personality have come about. Moore describes himself as more open, and said he has a newfound appreciation for drama students.

Moore has established his plans for the future as far as careers go. He wants to keep acting as a hobby to partake in during his free time.

“You know, I want to be the next Jennifer Lopez,” Moore jokes. “But honestly, I want to be an engineer.”