Former student Sarah Larsen returns to teach

Jada Caldwell, Staff Reporter

The secret of making dreams come true can be summarized in four C’s. They are curiosity, craft, courage and constancy; and the greatest of these is craft.

English teacher Sarah Larsen works everyday on her craft, but her journey as a Cougar began in 2000 at age 14.

Larsen, a 2004 graduate, returned to teach at her Almamater. She currently teaches sophomore and junior English.

Larsen attended Appalachian State, where she majored in English and secondary education. However, teaching English was not Larsen’s first dream.

“I originally wanted to be a dietician, but I failed basic Chemistry in college. Figured I better go back to what I was good at. My parents and uncle were all teachers,” Larsen said.

After college, Larsen realized she never wished to leave the Cougar family.

“I loved my high school experience at WFR, so coming back here just made sense,” Larsen said. “My family is from the area, and I also still had great connections with the teachers.”

Larsen has noticed that many renovations have been made to the school, yet some of the same customs remain.

“I like seeing many of the traditions still continue — powderpuff, prom, school spirit, etc.,” Larsen said.

Larsen understands the importance of school spirit and club activity. She is currently the advisor of SGA and was formerly in NHS, Art Club and Newspaper whilst playing soccer.

Larsen also dreams of being an event coordinator or interior designer, but for now pursues what she does best — teaching.

“It’s my passion! I just love what I do,” Larsen said.

Through her years of teaching, Larsen has found that being a teacher is rewarding.

“Seeing my former students come back to update me on how everything is going,” Larsen said. “That’s a good feeling to know you were a small piece of that success.”