Softball star Jennifer Cummings inducted into Hall of Fame

Jules Micchia, Sports Editor

Jennifer Cummings is being inducted into the first class of Hall of Famers. Cummings was a three-sport athlete and continued her softball career at the collegiate level.

Cummings dedicated her high school years to three sports and was supported by her coaches.

“I played three sports at WFHS, volleyball, basketball and softball. All three coaches, coach Holder, coach Little and coach Kinsman helped me with pushing myself and being the best athlete I could be on and off the field,” Cummings said.

Cummings chose the sport she wanted to continue playing in college.

“It wasn’t until the summer sophomore year where I started to throw harder, and my heart was in softball. I had to make the decision my sophomore year which I wanted play in college, and my heart was in softball,” Cummings said.

Her decision to stick with softball came down to her love for the sport.

“I knew when I couldn’t go a couple days without a touching a softball and pitching, I knew softball was my sport. I loved being in the circle on the mound and controlling the game,” Cummings said. “The sound of the ball being thrown into the catcher’s mit and the loud pop it makes, it is my favorite sound. To this day, I still love to pitch.”

Cummings continued her softball career at Texas A&M Corpus Christi.

“My proudest individual moment was earning a full scholarship to pitch in college and having my softball jersey retired at Wake Forest,” Cummings said.

After graduating Cummings continued to pursue softball by coaching. She coached at Louisburg College and then came back to her hometown high school to coach with her inspiration Doug Kinsman. She also started the softball program at Rolesville High School.

“I learned a lot from him while playing and coaching with him,” Cummings said.

Cummings eventually decided how she could continue to be involved with softball.

“I went to East Carolina University to get my masters in Health Education. I decided to do this because I loved coaching high school softball and decided teaching PE was what I wanted to do,” Cummings said. “After a year I graduated and took the head varsity coaching job at Rolesville and teaching PE.”

Cummings has stepped away from full-time coaching and has found a new passion.

“I then started getting into CrossFit. After two years of CrossFit, I got my Level 1, to coach at the gym I worked out at, CrossFit Brier Creek. A full-time position fell into my lap, and I had to make the decision to leave education and coaching softball,” Cummings said. “After talking everything through with my fiancé, I realized I loved helping adults with fitness and making their lifestyle better.”

Although Cummings has pursued different passions, she still has a love for softball.

“I do miss coaching, I give private lessons, so I still get my softball fix in. I coach everyday, just not on the softball field. I’m still able to help others, making a difference in others’ lives is what I love doing.”

Cummings is among several accomplished Wake Forest athletes and coaches being honored in the first hall of fame.

“I’m honored to be in the Hall of Fame at Wake Forest. It means a lot that I have been selected and to be in with other great former Wake Forest alumni,” Cummings said. “Being a female selected, I hope this brings encouragement for other female athletes to work hard and strive to be the best. Wake Forest Cougar Pride.”