Cougar run game still dominant

Despite graduating Stanford University player, Bryce Love, Cougar backs amass 20 TDs in four games

Sam Bennett

Senior Shy’Heem Mitchell scores against Rolesville high Sept. 11. Mitchell is tied for 2nd among WF backs with 5 TDs on the season.

Sam Bennett, Photography Editor

The running game is still alive and well for the varsity football team.

Having lost a total of 2,304 rushing yards and 37 total touchdowns created by Bryce Love, senior running back Tyri Beard hasn’t lost confidence in the Cougar running game.

“No I don’t feel pressure,” Beard said.

Beard and his teammates have averaged 283.5 yards per game through the first four games.

“We’re a team. We all bring our best on the field,” Beard said.

Their best has led to 1,134 total rushing yards in the opening four weeks.

Sidelined early in the season with an injury Beard’s first thought when handed the ball is “find the hole.” And he did just that against new rival Rolesville Sept. 11 with touchdown runs of 36 and 4 yards.

Beard is joined on the running depth chart by senior Shy’heem Mitchell, and sophomores Devon Lawrence and Marquis Dunn.

Glendon Dillard, running back coach, is tasked with guiding their success.

“He’s different. He really speaks to us and always knows what  say to keep our heads up,” Lawrence said.

One contributor to the run game’s success is who they face in practice.

“We have such a great defense to practice against,” Lawrence said.

The defense includes Lawrence’s brother, senior Dexter Lawrence. With Dexter being one of the top recruits in the nation, Devon “still looks at him the same.”

The power of the run game is undeniable. In the first four contests the backs have found the end zone 20 times.

Lawrence leads with 7 touchdowns followed by Mitchell  and Dunn with 5 and Beard with 2. Senior Artez Ragland finishes out the backfield, with one touchdown.