New Athletic Director shares vision for WF

Alyssa Sosa

Coach Mike Joyner served as athletic director at Smithfield-Selma for eight years.

Jackson Cook, Co-Sports Editor

Numerous changes accompanied the start of the school year. One of those is a new Athletic Director.  Mike Joyner has left his teaching and coaching jobs at Smithfield-Selma High School to take the helm of the Athletic Department.

Despite enjoying his former position, Joyner jumped at the opportunity to become the athletic director at a Wake County school. To Joyner, Wake Forest is a school with a “reputation of good athletics.”

There are high hopes for all of the teams this year, and Joyner wishes for our athletics to finish in the Top 3 of the Wells Fargo Standings. The Wells Fargo Cup is a system that tallies up points for every varsity team from each Cap-8 school, and whoever has the most points at the end of the school year wins the Cup.

Joyner wants to “maintain baseball, football and softball” as programs that have had recent success and use the momentum from those sports to “help out programs that aren’t as successful.”

“I’m a big process guy,” Joyner said, and he expects the very best from our sports this year.

Joyner does not plan any major new initiatives during the fall sports season.

Joyner said “I don’t believe in coming in and reinventing the wheel.  I just want to tweek some processes.”