Summer movies miss with many students

Poster for 47 meters down. This movie came out June 16th.

Meghan Keith, Reporter

Even with high anticipation for several summer movies, box office sales are officially the worst in over a decade.

With hits such as “Wonder Woman”, “Spider-Man Homecoming”, “and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2”, some students still feel let down by what has been in theatres this summer.

Streaming services have become considerably popular in recent years. Increases in the use of  services such as Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Video could be a reason for the decline in sales.

Sophomore Ryan Grugin said he didn’t go to the movies this summer. He instead watched mainly movies on Netflix.

While some moviegoers liked what was released in theatres. Several students found this year’s summer movies tacky and unorganized.

“I really didn’t like “Spiderman Homecoming,” because it kind of took the idea of Spiderman and really made it super cheesy,” said Jason Newton, sophomore. “It had all of these unnecessary details and comedic relief that ruined the main message of the movie.”

Sophomore, Sydney Mcphatter also feels the thriller “47 Meters Down” was not well put together.

“The plot is like a fifth grader wrote it. It wasn’t as suspenseful as the trailer, and how the director talked about how it was going to be. There was a special effect that made it look fake. “Jaws” is more realistic,” Mcphatter said.

Those who saw horror movies were left dissatisfied. Senior Aly Robertson said “Annabelle: Creation” was slow and not scary.

“There were a few jump scares, but it wasn’t as scary as people thought it was going to be,”  Robertson said.

Poor reviews on movies also could have had an effect on the plummet in box office sales.

Zach Harb, sophomore said he did not go to any movies this year due to bad reviews.

Junior Diego Sierra said the movies that spent more time advertising had more success.

“I think also something that played a key role is marketing. Like the movie “It” for instance. It wasn’t an amazing film, but it got amazing reviews because even before, like even at the very beginning, people started following. It started showing pictures on social media and all this. So many people started getting really hyped for it. So, I think marketing plays a very key role in actually the quality of film. I think we see it more as like a business, instead of an art form,” Sierra said.

Freshman Taylor Bucklin really hated the movie “Everything, Everything” and felt uncomfortable throughout the whole movie.

“I really liked the book, but the movie was absolutely awful. It was so rushed and cringey,” Bucklin said. “It’s just like the entire time I was watching it, I felt awkward like I shouldn’t have been watching it. It was just absolutely awful, and I hated every second of it and wish I had never spent any of my money on it.”

Many students felt let down by what was put out in theatres this summer. However, there are still students who felt the movies they saw were good.

“I don’t know if I saw any terrible movies this summer especially considering I only go see ones that look interesting,” said Kalden Aldrich, junior.

A common response from students was that the movies they saw were not well made, boring or just not what they had anticipated.

Junior Jaylen Dunbar said “I haven’t even been to the movies like that because there aren’t any good movies to see.”