Meet freshman artist Morgan Tolbert

One of the aspiring young artists featured in our annual issue on the arts

Rebekah Helms, Managing Editor

Three years ago, Freshman Morgan Tolbert found her calling to art. She hopes to continue being a self-taught artist.

She sees many opportunities in the art industry and plans to follow her passion.

“I’m hoping to do a career in design. I don’t know exactly what I want to do, but I want it to be focused around making things,” Tolbert said.

Tolbert’s strong pull towards art comes from her dreams of making a difference.

“I think my purpose has always been to help others and make them feel less alone in whatever they may be going through,” Tolbert said.

Her current work of art has come with difficulties. She is creating a portrait of her grandmother.

“Well, first I had a creative block, and I didn’t know exactly how to put everything I wanted to put onto the piece, and I had to figure out a way I could do that,” Tolbert said.

She has strong words of encouragement for others seeking to create their own work.

“Do not be discouraged if someone’s art skills are more developed than your own. Use it as motivation to create something truly wonderful,” Tolbert said.

Her goal is to improve her skills in realism, but she finds all art important.

“Everyone has the ability to create art, but you just have to dedicate time and effort into doing so if it is something you would like to be better at,” Tolbert said.

She explains why some look to art as an outlet.

“There’s a lot of people that express themselves through writing or singing, and some people can’t do that, so they do art instead,” Tolbert said.

Tolbert wants to be seen as a person who can help others find themselves.

“The main motive and inspiration behind my art is to express myself,” Tolbert said. “I like to, if possible, make people feel things through it as well.”