News in the Age of Trump

Grace Mercurio, Staff Reporter

CNN and Fox News are just two of many broadcasting networks who lean left or right on a similar news topic.

In the years since President Trump took office, ‘Fake News’ became a topic of concern.

When students were asked to rate the credibility of their news sources on a scale of 1 to 10, junior Talia Rodriguez found that her sources fail to achieve her trust.

“Honestly, I don’t trust news sources because a lot of shows are corrupt, and they spread lies just for views. Their information isn’t always correct,” Rodriguez said. “Sometimes though, they do have correct information, so I think half and half.”

Sophomore Zanje Lee also found that he only partially trusts news received from his sources.

“On a scale of 1 to 10, I would say a six. While I trust the news, I usually don’t always believe what they say, so I make sure the information given is true. I almost always go to another source and make sure the information is correct,” Lee said.

Riley Cannady, a sophomore, views her news as a more credible source.

“9 out of 10 because I think they have to fact check their information, and they usually show evidence,” Cannady said.

For junior Sophia Williams, whether she scrutinizes her news source or not depends on the magnitude of the article topic.

“Regarding political current events, I typically check multiple sources to see the different takes on events before deciding my view. On more local events, I typically don’t go to another source,” Williams said.

Sophomore Holly Baker considers what political party the broadcast network supports, then checks many news outlets before deciding if it is fact or fiction.

Baker said, “Seven, because it depends on the source. Many sources have proved to be particular for one side of the spectrum, very liberal or very conservative. If you are going to be using a media source like that, you need to try to check as many as you can. If I check multiple, and I get the same answer, I’d probably trust it.”