The Music Makers

We’re excited to feature three of the school’s finest musicians

Taylor Roth, Business Manager

Three outstanding band students look back on their high school musical careers. One of them, senior Annabeth Reed, recalls what energized her to pursue her musical talents.

“I have several musicians in my extended family, and I was always around some sort of music. When my parents discovered how curious I was, they started encouraging me to pursue it and provided me with lessons,” Reed said.

Senior Meredith Bryan recalls her favorite musical piece she learned throughout her time in band.

“The Malcolm Arnold Sonata: it has a level of technique I had never experienced before, and once I finally learned how to play, I learned to appreciate the composer’s vision,” Bryan said.

Each artist receives something from playing music. Reed finds music to be essential.

“My favorite instrument is probably piano. I’ve come to rely on playing music. I’ve come to rely on playing as an escape from everything else in life,” Reed said. “I am able to go into my own little world that is created when I play and that is one big reason I love it.”

To the performers, being a part of the band has a deeper connection than just being a part of a school organization.

“It has meant being in a family of people who support you and accept you no matter your faults. And it’s always a source of fun and enjoyment,” Bryan said.

In addition to having a passion in music, the progress in perfecting a musical piece is comprised of hard work and concentration in order to reach the final intention.

“I remember that at first it was slow, and I got bored easy, but as I kept going, it became more prevalent exactly how much effort and time I was going to have to put in to reach the level of playing I wanted,” Reed said.

Before the students could achieve their musical goal for a specific piece, they were forced to overcome struggles as a part of their learning process.

“I was challenged with finding the balance where my specific part lied with the rest of the band. Previously, I had only focused in my part and not the rest of the band,” Bryan said.

Senior Alexander Kuropas recalls one of his final memories performing as a band member and how small things, which may seem insignificant, have the most impact on the performing experience.

“At the end of the concert last semester, we had a good final piece that had some fun parts, and I had a few solos,” Kuropas said. “Every time the final note rings out it’s just a good moment, and there’s no better feeling than the audience being silent. It’s funny how it’s less of the applause that measures how much the audience enjoyed it, but the silence instead.”

Reed also looked back on the power of small things.

“My favorite band moments are mostly comprised of small ones that most people would find irrelevant, but they mean the world to me. Singing on bus rides, water balloon fights, pizza after football games, so many puns, stupid cheesy games, freezing at competitions, practicing in the pouring rain: I have so many crazy and good memories from this band,” Reed said.

As their high school careers comes to an end, their musical careers are just beginning. Reed, Kuropas and Bryan all plan to advance their knowledge in music with higher education and share their skills with diplomas in teaching.

Reed said, “In five years I’d like to have a job as a band director at the middle school or high school, and if not, then working on a master’s degree in conducting or composition.”