Buxbaum named NAC-VI player of the year

Catherine Vivongsy, Reporter

Sophomore Josh Buxbaum excelled in his second varsity season, finishing the season as the NAC-VI Player of the Year.

Buxbaum discovered his interest in golf while spending time with his father.

“I started playing about two and a half years ago. We were on vacation, and me and my dad found that it would be fun to do.”

Compared to last season, Buxbaum’s season this year has shown more promising results and is continuing to improve. When asked how he felt about his progression, Buxbaum agreed.

“Definitely a lot better this year. Last year was a good freshman season in my opinion, but I started taking it to the next level this year.”

Even though Buxbaum’s season stats don’t show it, he has faced minor issues with part of his short game.

“There were a couple of putts I missed here and there that I could’ve made. Also mental game, just staying with it the whole way,” Buxbaum said.

Despite these issues, Buxbaum excelled in chipping and increased his number of fairway hits.

With regionals and states coming up, Buxbaum has hopes for his own performance, as well as his team.

“For myself and the team, I think it’d be awesome if we could qualify for states, or at least give it a good chance.”

Looking towards next year’s season, Buxbaum is determined to place high in the conference once again.

“Next year, just keeping going hard. Trying to get top three in the conference again, doing whatever I can,” Buxbaum said.

Apart from being on the high school team, Buxbaum intends to participate in tournaments such as Tar Heel Youth

Golf Association and Carolina Golf Association.

“I’ll be playing in some tournaments this summer,” Buxbaum said. “I’m just trying to play as much as I can, practice wherever and whenever.”