DECA project raises money and hope

Kerrigan Zambrana, Reporter

Three girls had one goal of giving back by fighting childhood cancer.

Seniors Emily Babb, Harper Eisen and Ashley Downing all had previous experience working with the UNC Children’s Hospital and picked it as the beneficiary of the senior DECA project.

They wanted to contribute to an organization that “helped children that need it the most,” Eisen said.

“As part of the Marketing Advanced Studies Class, students must plan, organize and execute a DECA project,” said Kristi Walker DECA advisor and teacher for the class.

A grand total of $2,286 was presented to the UNC Children’s Hospital Jan. 19.

The biggest part of the project was the Art Gala which was conducted in the main hall of WFHS to show off Art created by the students of Wake Forest.

Patrons were able to come into the school and view the Art as if it was a real gala in an art studio. If they found a piece they would like to buy, they silently placed their bid on a piece of paper.

From the Art Gala $1,062 was raised.

All of the left over art was returned to their creators but will be used in an art gala being put on by the Wake Forest Arts Council in the spring.

Due to Wake County’s rules, a school can only conduct one fundraiser a year that’s academic in nature. Other than that, activities must have a booster club, which the class and DECA doesn’t have.

DECA needed some way to complete this project for the class.

“We cannot fund-raise,” Walker said.

The “Learn Earn Project” business venture has created a service project option as a part of the Marketing Advanced Studies class to donate to organizations.

Downing was impressed by the hospital’s reputation.

The UNC Children’s Hospital Pediatric Unit is ranked “6th for best children hospital in the U.S.,” Downing said.

The initial goal of the project was to, “raise awareness about pediatric cancer and the UNC Children’s Hospital,” Walker said

That goal was achieved.

Another part of the project was to create, market and sell wristbands to raise money.

The wrist bands that say “Fight like a kid” sold for $1 each and raised $289, and would be seen on teens’ wrists throughout the halls of our school and the surrounding community.

All of the girls on this project also participate in the business marketing DECA club.

This project ties in to the DECA club by helping to, “develop business, entrepreneurial, marketing knowledge skills to an activity run as a real business venture,” Walker said.

Downing said, “We wanted to stay local yet still be able to have a big impact nationwide, and we knew our money would go where it was needed.”