Dance team to perform in prestigious show

Austin Lee, Assistant Online Editor

Pieces of Gold is a performance for over 1,000 Wake County students who sing, dance and show off many other talents.

This year, the dance company has been selected to perform in the event. The company will perform “Looking up,” choreographed by Sherri Newhouse and “Help, “which is also to the music of “Hallelujah,”

“High performance quality, themes that fit the flow of the whole productions are just some of the many reasons that this was the piece selected for us to perform at the performance,” dance instructor Sherri Newhouse said.

Over the past six years, Wake Forest has been chosen five times to attend and perform at Pieces of Gold. They perform in front of a crowd that is up to 3,000 people.

“This accomplishment means that the quality of our work is among the highest in the county. It means we are awesome,” Newhouse said.

To prepare for this event, Newhouse has the company practicing hard and getting ready to show what they can do Mar. 9, which is when the event will be held at Memorial Hall in Raleigh.

“Practice is every school day, every week, plus other days and throughout the school day,” sophomore dancer Gianna Kolesnik said.

“The most challenging part of the choreography is teaching all the student dancers the many difficult moves that must be performed during the routine,” Newhouse said.

The entire team is comprised of sophomores Jordan Cook, Corinne Harry, Gianna Kolesnik, junior Christian Stainback and seniors Dana Basil, Sydnee Evans, Kayla Hudgins, Ajhia Johnson, Madison Johnson and Taylor Jones.