Golf team exceeds expectations

Samantha Bennett, Photography Editor

With only two returning players, the golf team’s expectations for this season weren’t very high until recently.

The team has exceeded coach Justin Richards’ expectations.

“After losing one of our strongest senior classes, I went into this season that we were going to finish close to last in every match,” Richards said.

The team’s best finish was 2nd at Hedingham Mar. 7.

“The conditions were tough, and we just stayed steady, and I think that’s what helped us the most,” Richards said.

The two returning players are senior Nick Nadeau and junior Matt MacDowall. All the new players were unexperienced.

“One of the strengths we have is trying to improve each match,” Richards said.

MacDowall, a regional qualifier, has led the team in 4 of 6 matches. He has offered advice to his inexperienced teammates.

“It’s important to stay focused and in the moment and to keep your head up,” MacDowall said.

As the season draws to a close, Richards cites one aspect of the team’s play that needs improvement.

“We seem to only have one bad hole close to the end, and we just have to be able to close” Richards also said.

In conference match play at our home course Olde Liberty April 26, the team finished fourth. MacDowall shot 42, taking first place on the team and 13th overall. Other Cougar notables were Nadeau and sophomore Anthony Grant.

The teams expects to finish 6th in conference, which eliminates the chance of going to regionals as a team. Nadeau, MacDowall and Grant are in close contention to going to regionals individually.

Personally, for Nick Nadeau his expectations for this season haven’t been up to par.

Nadeau said, “I would’ve liked to do play much better than I have been, but hopefully I can get a good round in and advance to regionals.”