Girl’s basketball team reflects on season

Samantha Bennett, Photography Editor

The lady Cougars have nearly completed their season with a new coach Pat Surles and four young contributing freshmen.

Junior Jayla McDaniels and sophomores Jada Miller, Kayla Surles and Keenan Surles have helped keep the team close in tight games.  Three of their first four games were decided by less than 7 points.

One thing McDaniels would do over again from this season is play harder each game.

“We just need to show up with a better mindset and want to win every game.” McDaniels said.

Miller averages the highest points per game with 12 points. Kayla comes in second with 11. McDaniels leads rebounds with 6 RPG and Kayla is the top with assists with 4 APG. The girls are 7-13 overall, with their biggest win coming against Apex Friendship by 36 pts.

With three weeks left in the season, head coach Patrick Surles was pleased with the development of the freshmen and sophomores.

“They both have really set the bar high, and the future of Wake Forest girls’ basketball is bright,” Surles said.

Their conference record with two games left should be improved upon next year as the core of the team becomes juniors.

Keenan Surles is a starter for the team and is hoping for a rise in the team’s tenacity.

“When the team isn’t doing well, we kind of shut down, and we shouldn’t do that. We should keep fighting,” Keenan said.

According to coach Surles, the team must continue with a growth mindset.

Coach Surles said, “We just need to continue to work hard on the fundamentals of basketball. We cannot think we have no room for improvement.”